Especially for Parents
Your son or daughter has been offered the opportunity to participate in Skidmore's First-Year Experience in London during the fall semester before joining other members of the first-year class in Saratoga Springs for the spring semester. This exciting introduction to college life in an international setting will be guided by two Skidmore faculty directors in London and by the faculty and staff of the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES). Here are some ways we believe parents can best help prospective students decide whether to engage in this educational adventure:
- Read… and talk about London as a family.
- Encourage... your son or daughter to read all the materials we have sent and continue to check the website for photos, updated information, and orientation materials.
- Consider... your own comfort level. Students will be making the same kinds of independent decisions all students make when they go to college.
- Discuss... how your son or daughter has dealt with new and challenging experiences in the past. Does he/she approach new experiences eagerly and confidently?
- Support... your son or daughter's personal decision, whether to study in London or to pursue a different educational direction.
If your son or daughter does decide to join our London Program—as we hope he/she will—please
ask him/her to share with you all the information we provide. Please help us to emphasize
that tolerance and flexibility are keys to a successful venture abroad. Students will
encounter a multitude of fascinating differences while overseas and will want to explore
these differences with an open mind. The British way of life, attitudes, aspirations,
and values are worth close consideration; the place, the people, and their rich heritage
are sure to inspire interest.
Academically, the students we have selected will find themselves well prepared for the rigors of the program. First-year students will receive the advice and counsel of Skidmore faculty directors who will each teach a Scribner Seminar and who will arrange a variety of social and cultural events and excursions for students. Students can also seek advice and support from IES Student Services and academic staff.
We look forward to meeting you and your family!
Questions regarding the London FYE program details, orientation or arrival day should be directed to Kendra Nelson, London FYE Program Manager in Skidmore's office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges, at email@example.com or +1-518-580-5355.
Questions regarding the admissions process should be directed to Ariana Vacs Renwick, Assistant Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-518-580-5570.