The 'what' is even easier to answer.
FYE is an opportunity for you to:
- develop a deep and lasting relationship with the faculty member teaching your Scribner Seminar, a faculty member who will also serve as your mentor and advisor until you declare a major;
- build an intellectual and social relationship with other members of your Seminar;
- gain an introduction to how Skidmore thinks about the liberal arts, encouraging your own critical and interdisciplinary inquiry;
- enhance your writing and communication skills;
- take advantage of the assistance of peer mentors, upperclass students who function as informal advisors and role models.
The thinking behind FYE is simple: learning shouldn’t be confined to a classroom, lab, or studio for a few hours a day. It’s really what the entire college experience is about. So the better we blend your academic and cocurricular experiences, and the more connected you are with faculty, staff, upperclass students, and first-year peers, the more successful and satisfied you’ll be.