Current Initiatives - Purchasing
- Dining Services: Skidmore works to include sustainability in the dining hall. Dining Services works
with local food producers and the Student Garden to integrate locally-sourced items
into the menus (produce, milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, breads, flour, and peanut
butter.) Waste reduction and recycling programs have increased efficiency in the kitchens
and dining hall. You can read more about these initiatives on the Dining Services website.
- Furniture Reuse and Donations: Skidmore's purchasing department goes above and beyond to ensure that Skidmore's
used furniture stays out of the landfill and is donated to local non-profits. Over
3,800 pieces of furniture and 131 tons of material have been donated to relief efforts
in our region and internationally. Skidmore also purchases some used furniture and
reuses its own used furniture on campus as much as possible.
- Recycled Material: Skidmore currently purchases 30% recycled paper, 45% recycled toilet paper and 100%
recycled paper towels and napkins. All of Skidmore's correspondence stationary is
on 100% recycled paper.
- Green Paper Printer Companies: Skidmore uses Mohawk Paper, a wind-powered paper mill, for some printing services
as well as Walter Snyder and Digital Page, two printing companies that use Forest
Stewardship Council certified paper.
- Hybrid Vehicles: Skidmore currently owns three hybrid vehicles.
- Efficient Washers and Dryers: Skidmore uses only cold water wash in our washing machines and recently switched
to a shorter drying cycle to add to the energy savings of the cold water wash.
- Green Cleaning: Skidmore College has established a protocol for green cleaning with the following
goals; reduce the toxicity, quantity and overall cost of the products used while maintaining
a high standard of output and minimizing waste. As a best practice, green products
are evaluated and purchased on regular basis. The chemical systems are locked and
monitored, which prevents any overuse. The dosage is not physically touched by an
employee, rather the manufacturer embeds the appropriate amount to dispense.
The floor scrubbers used at Skidmore College do not employ any chemicals. Instead, they use ionized water as an alternative.
- Greener Choices: Our office supply vendor has a recycling symbol on their website to help inform office purchasers of greener choices.