IMPORTANT! The application information below is specific to Scholarship Competition Applicants. The scholarship competition is open to students enrolled full-time in undergraduate or graduate programs. You must also be nominated by your creative writing instructor to be eligible. If you are NOT eligible to apply for a scholarship go to the 2015 Non-Scholarship Application Information page for information on how to apply.
A complete Scholarship Application includes the following:
- Completion of the 2015 Scholarship Application in ONE of three genres – Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Poetry.
- Submission of the following attachments as indicated below.
- Brief Letter -indicating your status (e.g. undergraduate senior, second-yr. grad student at which school, studied with whom, etc.) Be sure to note which genre you are applying for: Fiction Scholarship App; or Poetry Scholarship App; or NFP Scholarship App.
- Writing Sample
- Students in Fiction or Non-Fiction: 15-25 pages of your best writing
- Students in Poetry: 3-5 Poems
- Please make sure the file name of your attachments have your full name and item description example: JohnSmithstatement.docx
- NO SPACES & NO SYMBOLS
- Uploads should be no larger than 100MB each.
- Document types: .DOC; .DOCX; .PDF; .TXT
Scholarship Competition Deadlines
- February 25 - Faculty nominations must be received
- March 10- Last date to submit Scholarship applications
- March 16 - Scholarships will be awarded
- On or around March 20 - The names of the scholarship award winners, along with their schools, will be announced to all applicants
Reminder to Graduate Credit Applicants: Individuals applying for graduate credit must mail a sealed, official transcript from their college or university conferring a Bachelor's degree by the deadline of June 10, 2015 to: Christine Merrill, Program Coordinator, Special Programs, Skidmore College, 815 N Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
To apply you must choose the genre in which you want to be considered – Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Poetry. Below is the list of 2015 workshops.
|Workshop Title||Two-Week Options (non-credit)||Four-Week Options (credit & non-credit)|
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Elizabeth Benedict and Victoria Redel (one week each)
July 13–24, 2015: Adam Braver and Cristina Garcia (one week each)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: Benedict, Redel, Braver, Garcia|
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Howard Norman and Mary Gaitskill (one week each)
July 13–24, 2015: Amy Hempel and Paul Harding (one week each)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: Norman, Gaitskill, Hempel, Harding|
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Claire Messud and Joanna Scott (one week each)
July 13–24, 2015: Rick Moody (both weeks)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: Messud, Scott, Moody|
INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Campbell McGrath and Carolyn Forche (one week each)
July 13–24, 2015: Peg Boyers (both weeks)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: McGrath, Forche, Boyers|
ADVANCED & MASTER CLASS
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Master Class with Frank Bidart (both weeks)
July 13–24, 2015: Advanced and Master Class with Henri Cole (both weeks)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: Master Class w/Bidart and Advanced w/Cole (two weeks each)|
INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED
|June 29 – July 10, 2015: Memoir & Personal Essay with Phillip Lopate (both weeks)
July 13–24, 2015: Miscellaneous Forms (including memoir) with James Miller (both weeks)
|June 29 – July 24, 2015: Lopate & Miller (two weeks each)|
IMPORTANT! Once you start your application, you will need to complete it in its entirety. The system won't allow you to make changes once the application has been submitted. If you close the browser you will lose all of your information.
Once you've decided which genre you want to apply for, select the link for the 2015 Scholarship Application for that particular genre below.
2015 FICTION Scholarship Application
2015 NON-FICTION Scholarship Application
2015 POETRY Scholarship Application
In accordance with U.S. Federal regulations, all non-U.S. Citizens must have a student
visa to study in the United States. You may not attend Skidmore on a tourist visa.
If you are an international student please click here.