Find a program  Apply Now  For Parents  For Faculty  FAQs 
Off-Campus Study & Exchanges

street view, London

Money Matters
Program Costs and Billing

Skidmore Programs

Students on Skidmore programs will be charged a program fee comparable to the Skidmore comprehensive fee. The fee will cover tuition abroad, room and board, on-site support and services, a local transportation pass (where applicable), program excursions, a cultural reimbursement program (where applicable), and international medical insurance. You will be billed by Skidmore's Bursar's Office directly.

Approved Programs

Students participating on an approved program abroad will be billed directly by Skidmore. Students will be charged the Skidmore Comprehensive fee for their academic year or semester abroad. This fee is equal to tuition, room at the apartment rate, and full board. Skidmore will handle payment to program providers on behalf of the students. Skidmore will cover tuition and mandatory academic fees, room and board, medical insurance, and any other mandatory program fees. Students are responsible for any refundable fees, airfare, books, and personal expenses. Students will be billed directly by Skidmore's Bursar's Office. Students on the Washington Semester programs will be billed by Skidmore's Bursar for tuition and fees. The host campus will bill for room and board. Students studying on the Spelman College program pay tution, room, and board fees to Skidmore. Any billing questions should be directed to the Office of Off-Campus Study & Exchanges.

Financial Aid

Skidmore students participating on Skidmore and non-Skidmore Approved Programs may use their financial aid to offset the costs of the program. If you currently receive financial aid, you should make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid to review the use of your financial aid package. You should do this as soon as possible after acceptance to your chosen study abroad program. 


Students are encouraged to pursue external scholarship opportunities to help fund their off-campus study. Although scholarships for off-campus study are limited, there are a number of scholarships available for students through national scholarship funds, program providers, and local and community organizations. OCSE maintains a list of external scholarship opportunities for students to consider, including national scholarships, scholarships provided by the Skidmore approved program providers, and additional resources to search for scholarships. Please check with the OCSE for details. If you are a non-Skidmore student participating on a Skidmore program abroad, please check with your home campus for details regarding financial aid.

Money Management Overseas

One of the most frequently asked questions is, "How do I handle my money once I'm abroad?" There are many answers to that question. The best way to handle money varies depending upon your program site and your preferences. However, there are some general rules to keep in mind when planning for expenses. We strongly encourage you to discuss your budget and money management with your parents or guardians before you depart. It is important to understand how these matters will be handled and to have a support person at home to assist you in case of an emergency.

Power of Attorney

You may want to consider obtaining a Power of Attorney for financial matters that will allow another individual (preferably your parent or guardian) to sign on your behalf. You may restrict signatory authority to only being able to endorse checks or expand it to include permission to take care of all your financial matters while you are out of the country. The choice is yours. However, by all means do not have your family or friends mail checks or other important paperwork to you abroad to be signed. You take great risk at having the check lost in the mail. 

Your Budget

The amount of money you need to budget for your stay abroad includes more than your program fee. It is important to understand the total out-of-pocket expenses you will incur so that you can budget appropriately. Otherwise you could end up running out of money before the semester/year concludes. The organization sponsoring your program should be able to provide you with a detailed estimate of all costs you will be expected to cover while abroad. You should discuss this information with your parents or guardian in order to establish a realistic budget. Be sure to include expenses such as airfare, daily transportation, visa and passport fees, books and instructional materials, extra meals, entertainment, laundry, travel during breaks, etc. Some of these expenses may be covered by the program, some may not. Again, check with the program provider for details. Before you leave, talk with students who have already returned from the same program to learn more about realistic budgeting. (Your program sponsor can provide you with the name of program alumni.) Remember that Skidmore will cover costs for all required academic fees, and may cover room and a meal costs. If your program does not provide a meal plan, Skidmore will not charge you the meal plan fee. Instead you will be responsible for covering those costs on site. Budget appropriately.

The International Student Identity Card

Students should consider purchasing an International Student Identification Card (ISIC) for their travels abroad. The ISIC is recognized throughout the world as a verification of student status. In many countries, student status will provide discounts on airfare, travel insurance, emergency travel assistance, theaters, museums and more. The ISIC is most useful for receiving discounts in Western Europe. However, it can also be used in the United States to obtain special-rate student airfares.

Students opting to not purchase the card should carry their Skidmore ID card.  Many establishments and/or vendors will provide student discounts once proof of status is provided.