Named one of the five best college programs for dance by Backstage.com, the Skidmore Dance Department offers a course of study that includes intensive dance technique, dance history/criticism, improvisation, composition, and dance education classes. Ultimately, you will emerge with a deeper understanding of dance as an art form and how dance can impact your life and the lives of others. Offering a BS in Performance/Choreography or Dance Research Studies, the Skidmore dance department will prepare you for a career in the fields of performance, choreography, dance education, dance therapies, arts administration, and dance criticism alongside fostering exploration of your own interests within the field of dance. Our students often choose to combine the dance major with a second major or minor, ranging in recent years from biology, exercise science, and psychology, to English, art history, and theater. For more detailed information, please see our website: http://www.skidmore.edu/dance/.
- Ballet: Elementary, Low Intermediate, Intermediate Pointe, High Intermediate, Advanced, Performance Workshop, Guest Artists Workshop
- Choreography I & II
- Dance Production
- Dance and Society: 1700–1960 & 1960–Present
- Dance and Disability
- Dance, Music and Film
- Dance for the Child
- Improvisation I & II
- Modern: Elementary, Low Intermediate, High Intermediate, Advanced, Performance Workshop, Guest Artists Workshop
- Tap I & II
Guest artists: Guest artists are regularly invited to stage original works and reconstructions for Skidmore dancers. Recent choreographers have included Stephen Petronio, Earl Mosley, Stefanie Batten Bland, Brian Brooks, Dusan Tynek, Robert Battle, Andrea Weber for the Cunningham Trust, and many others of note.
Student Performances: Students have many performing opportunities each semester. See our Cool Projects page (https://www.skidmore.edu/dance/cool-projects.php) and our video gallery (https://www.skidmore.edu/dance/about/video-gallery.php).
Recent internships/research projects: documenting dances, stories, and fables of the indigenous people of Ecuador and teaching at the Dance-Theater School in Quito; combining a dance intensive with a research project exploring the lived experience of black women through dance at Deeply Rooted Dance Theater (Chicago, Ill.); translating “New York vs. El Zapotito” by Mexican playwright Veronica Musalem and helping to stage it at Skidmore; interning at the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development; and researching the biomechanics of tendon injury and repair at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Study abroad: The most popular among majors is Skidmore in Paris (France); other approved programs
the Conservatory of Spain; CIEE Art and Science Program (Cape Town, S. Africa); IES Abroad, University of Auckland
(New Zealand); and IFSA-Butler Trinity Laban School of Dance.
Summer Dance Workshop: Each summer Skidmore offers an intensive, three-week workshop for pre-professional and professional dancers, and some dance majors/recent grads take advantage of it. For more, see http://www.skidmore.edu/summerdance/.
Video: Home In My Skin: Jake DeNicola '15 samples the senior dance capstone project of Nikhita Winkler '15.
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- Company member, Doug Varone and Dancers
- Company member, ODC Dance Theater
- Performer, Sean Curran Dance Company
- Director/Choreographer, Trainor Dance Company
- Performer, Punch Drunk Theater Company, London
- Company dancer, Artisan Dance Company
- Principal, Academy for Language and Technology, Bronx, N.Y.
- Director/owner, American Dance Institute, Stockbridge, Mass.
- Special education teacher, Bellevue School District, Bellevue, Wash.
- Office manager, Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, NYC
- Professional dancer, Bucks County Playhouse, Pa.
- Dancer, Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre, Chicago, Ill.
- National Accountt Manager, Cogent Communications, San Francisco, Calif.
- Artistic director/owner, Dalton Ballet Studio, Dalton, Mass.
- Member, Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company, Albany, N.Y.
- Dancer/performer, Hannah Kahn Dance Company, Denver, Colo.
- Artistic director/teacher, Isadora Duncan Youth Ensemble, Mount Kisco, N.Y.
- Psychotherapist, Mental Health Partners of Boulder County, Boulder, Colo.
- Dance/movement therapist, Mount Diablo Medical Pavilion, Concord, Calif.
- RN program director, National Kidney Foundation, NYC
- Associate director, advertising and promotions, New York City Ballet, NYC
- Marketing manager, Pennsylvania Ballet, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Department chair of theater, Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.
- Company dancer, Smuin Ballet/SF, San Francisco, Calif.
- Rockette, Radio City Music Hall, NYC
- Dance and theater teacher, Ramapo High School, Ramapo, N.J.
- Assistant professor of modern dance, University of Utah
- Costume designer, Stonehill College Theater Department, North Easton, Mass.
- Executive director, Strong Women, Strong Girls, Boston, Mass.
- Apprentice dancer/assistant teacher, Alvin Ailey School, NYC
- Culinary director for nutrition in the kitchen, Blum Center for Health, Rye, N.Y.
- Owner, Integrated Body Pilates Studio, Indianapolis, Ind.
Graduate Schools: A sampler of where our alumni go
- Mills College
- New York University Tisch School of the Arts (MFA)
- Ohio State University
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance (Master’s in Performance)