Earning a business degree at a liberal arts college is highly unusual, and is one reason why Skidmore's business major is one of the college's largest. As a major, you will gain a foundation in accounting, finance, marketing, and management. But you will do so in the context of a real-world environment that begins with MB 107, a team-oriented, case-study-based course that often culminates in an advanced seminar in which students consult for local companies. In addition to mastering core disciplines, you'll prepare for tomorrow's dynamic environment with an education rooted in six dimensions for studying management and business in the liberal arts context (with insights to ethical, historical, technological, cultural, creative, ecological, and political forces that shape—and are shaped by—business). Internships, faculty-student research projects, and an annual business-plan competition are also popular options. Graduates go onto work in a wide array of fields including health care, banking and investment, consulting, marketing communications and PR, fashion and retail, technology, and of course, entrepreneurial start-ups.
- Foundations of Marketing
- Foundations of Organizational Behavior
- Foundations of Financial Accounting
- Foundations of Managerial Accounting
- Coaching, Mentoring, and Teamwork—Service Learning Experience
- Foundations of Business in the International Environment
- Foundations of Finance
- Business Strategy
Skidmore-Saratoga Consulting Partnership:
SSCP is an advanced seminar and practicum on strategic consulting. Class members gain valuable hands-on experience by providing pro-bono consulting services to Saratoga businesses/organizations such as Saratoga Springs Water, Roohan Realty, the Saratoga Film Forum, and Alpine Sport Shop (more here).
Consulting for one business and also “learning about the businesses that other teams are working with,” applying classroom lessons to “real-world analyzing and problem-solving,” and talking through disagreements “because out of them might come a great idea”—that’s what students do in the Skidmore-Saratoga Consulting Partnership.
Kenneth A. Freirich Business Plan Competition: Pursuing Dreams:
Skidmore's annual Competition awards $65,000 in prizes to student participants who, in the estimation of the judges, apply real creative thought to the development of new businesses, enterprises, and nonprofit organizations. More than 200 students have entered since 2010 and at least a dozen student-run businesses are up and running (more here).
Recent faculty-student research projects:
- Faith in the Workplace: Religion and Secularism in the Employment Sectors of France, Denmark, Sweden, India, and the U.S.
- Invention, Creativity, Code, and Big Data: Understanding Innovation in the Consumer Protection Contex
- Meanings of Food: Conversations of American Women on Food Blog
- From Companies to Classrooms: Do Team-building and Feedback Methods Transfer?
- Storytelling in Mentoring: An Exploratory, Qualitative Study of Facilitating Learning in Work-related Mentoring Interactions
Goldman Sachs, HR Resolved, Windrush Corporation, AYCO, Saratoga Juice Bar, One With Life Tequila, Adirondack Flames, Fingerpaint Marketing, NPA Financial LLC, Schmaltz Brewing Company, Northwestern Mutual, Aarong Fashion House, Columbia Records, Fieldstone Private Capital Group, Florida Panthers, JP Morgan Chase, MasterCard Worldwide, Palio Communications, Polo Ralph Lauren, Mann Center for Performing Arts, Trip Advisor, Wells Fargo
Popular study abroad programs: CIEE: Business & Culture (Barcelona, Spain); Skidmore in Paris (France); Skidmore in London, Skidmore in Alcala and Madrid (Spain), University of Westminster (England); and University of Melbourne (Australia)
Careers: A sampler of what our alumni do
- CEO, ABKCO Music & Records, NYC
- Managing director, Accedra Asset Management, San Francisco, Calif.
- Partner, corporate strategy, Accenture Consulting, NYC
- Managing consultant, emerging technologies, Adept Group, Tokyo, Japan
- Senior underwriting consultant, Aetna Life & Casualty, Hartford, Conn.
- Chief brand strategist, Agency212, NYC
- President, Alliance Sports Management, Boca Raton, Fla.
- CEO, Altisource Portfolio Solutions, Luxembourg
- VP of fashion, Amazon Japan, Tokyo, Japan
- Director of global new product development, AMEX Foundation, NYC
- Sales director, Anheuser-Busch Companies, St. Louis, Mo.
- Attorney, Arent Fox LLP, NYC
- Director, integrated production, Arnold Worldwide, NYC
- Director of marketing, Asgaard Capital, Washington, D.C.
- Director, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, NYC
- Counsel, BlueCrest Capital Management, NYC
- Director, equity trading, BNP Paribas, NYC
- Director, senior counsel, Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, Conn.
- Senior associate, Booz & Co., Chicago, Ill.
- CEO, Boston Financial & Equity, Boston, Mass.
- Director of project development, BrightSource Energy, San Francisco, Calif.
- Neuroscience specialist, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Director of domestic licensing, Calvin Klein, NYC
- National advertising director, CBS Interactive-Sports, NYC
- International managing director, Christie's Travel, London, England
- VP of business and legal affairs, Comcast Entertainment, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Criminal investigator/special agent, Department of Treasury/IRS, Boston, Mass.
- Global head, Natural Resources Group, Deutsche Bank Securities, NYC
- Brand marketing manager, Dunkin' Brands, Boston, Mass.
- Regional finance manager-Asia Pacific, DuPont China Ltd., Shanghai, China
- Group director, strategic partnerships and initiatives, Equity Investment Bank, Nairobi, Kenya
- Senior VP of marketing, ESPN, NYC
- Director, partnership sales, Fenway Sports Management, Boston, Mass.
- Strategic marketing lead, GE Capital, NYC
- Senior account manager/senior contract specialist, General Dynamics, Taunton, Mass.
- Web and design coordinator, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, Mass.
- Head of U.S. institutional equity sales, JP Morgan, NYC
- Manager/global university relations, John Deere Davenport Works, Chicago, Ill.
- Attorney, John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance, Boston, Mass.
- Senior VP/general manager of flour, King Arthur Flour, Norwich, Vt.
- Research and development coordinator, Lake Champlain Chocolates, Burlington, Vt.
- CFO IC mergers and acquisitions, Lucent Technologies, Allentown, Pa.
- Co-founder/CEO, Narrative, NYC
- Financial director, NASA, Greenbelt, Md.
- Senior VP of strategic planning, NBC Universal Cable Entertainment and Digital Ad Sales, NYC
- Director of retail brand marketing, global basketball, Nike, Beaverton, Ore.
- VP for medical center, clinical affairs, and affiliates, NYU Langone, NYC
- VP for North American sales, Patagonia, Ventura, Calif.
- VP of merchandising and design, Fashion Swim, Perry Ellis International, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Associate global manager, Pfizer, Reston, Va.
- Management consulting/principal, PricewaterhouseCoopers Fund, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Brand manager, Aunt Jemima, Quaker Oats, Chicago, Ill.
- Owner/winemaker, Raymond Vineyard, St. Helena, Calif.
- Managing director, distressed and special situations trading, Royal Bank of Scotland, NYC
- Media supervisor, Saatchi & Saatchi, NYC
Graduate Schools: A sampler of where our alumni go
- American University Washington College of Law
- Boston University Law School
- Cardoza School of Law, Yeshiva University
- Mercer University
- New York University (NYU)
- Parsons The New School of Design
- Savannah College of Arts and Design
- NYU Medical School
- NYU Wagner School of Public Service
- NYU Stern School of Business